Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wine (but mostly Cheese) Night

Josie and I saw the movie "Bottle Shock" 2 weekends ago and it was right up my alley. I like movies that some consider boring, with lots of talking and things like wine competitions.

After the movie got out, Josie, who hates the taste of alcohol in all forms, said it made her want to have a glass of Chardonnay. (The climax of the movie is when the Chardonnay from a California winery beats out the French wine in a blind taste test. Edge of your seat action, I know)

I told her that as a beginner, she should start out with a White Zinfandel since it's more fruity. That's what I started out drinking, and have since graduated to more sophisticated varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Actually I don't really know if liking red wine means you have a more refined palate or anything, I just think blush wines taste like alcoholic koolaid. Anyway, I decided that we should have a wine tasting at my apartment, since it's so spacious.

I invited some of the SMOE girls over and everyone brought either a bottle of wine or snacks. The wine tasting part was fun, but I think most of us were more excited about the cheese. I splurged and picked up some Brie and cheddar from E-mart and Josie brought some spreadable, cream-cheese like stuff and we gorged. Cheese is quite the novelty here in Korea because it's hard to find and is grossly overpriced. Allyssa's bruschetta was also amazing. (I am always impressed by anyone my age whose cooking skills extend beyond instant pasta and scrambled eggs)

It was really fun to have a low-key night without the boys (no offense guys) and Josie said that her first glass of wine "wasn't as bad as she thought," so I considered it a successful evening. An added bonus was the fact that Vicky found the rooftop of my apartment building, which I didn't know existed.

Some pics from the evening:

Turns out I can fit 10 people in my apartment

Chaeheun, me & Jamie

View from my rooftop

No comments: