Friday, December 5, 2008

Oh Canada...

I always feel really bad when I meet Canadians, because up until now I had very little knowledge of Canadian geography, history, politics, etc., but they seem to know everything about the U.S. My friend Chris says that's because there's nothing to know about Canada, but I still feel bad. About half of my teacher friends here in Korea are Canadian, so my knowledge of this land and its people has increased exponentially since my arrival. I thought I would impart some of this knowledge.

Canadians are tricky people, because they look just like Americans, and for the most part, they talk just like Americans. I've recently found out that many actors and musicians are actually Canadians disguised as Americans (Keanu Reeves, Jim Carrey and The Barenaked Ladies, just to name a few). Canadians get kind of offended when Koreans assume they are American, but even for us miguks (Americans), it's hard to tell. It's only when they insert an "eh?" at the end of a sentence or talk about how they can't find good poutine here that you know they're a canuck.

What is poutine you ask? Good question. I had never heard of it before I came here, but apparently it's a Canadian delicacy. Poutine consists of french fries covered in strange, fattening things like gravy and cheese curds. I had my first poutine on Tuesday night at a Canadian restaurant/pub in Itaewon. It mostly tasted like soggy french fries, but Kim (Canadian teacher friend) said that it wasn't good poutine and that she's going to take me to New York Fries, a Canadian fast food chain (with an American name) here in Korea to get some real poutine.

My first poutine



In the U.S., we like to make fun of Canada a lot, and it turns out, they like to make fun of us as well. Rick Mercer is kind of like Canada's Stephen Colbert, and he has a segment of his show called "Talking with Americans" that is both hysterical and humiliating. Check it out:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's like a whole other country up there... Weird! :-)

Anonymous said...

Now I finally know the words to the Canadian National Anthem.