Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas!

(Written 12-25-08)

The gloom of the (sick) days leading up to Christmas has passed and I finally feel like it’s Christmas. I met some S.M.O.E.’s for mass at Myeongdong Catholic Cathedral this morning, and it finally felt like Christmas after seeing the altar all decorated and singing “Go Tell it on the Mountain” to a droning organ as the closing song.

Myeongdong Catholic Church


After church I called the fam. who was having our typical Christmas Eve: junk food fest (everyone requests their own dish; mine is always taco dip) presents, and then midnight mass. So not much was new, except that we welcomed a new member to our (extended) family; my Aunt Jessica had baby boy Cooper Sterling Scutt. Pictures were up on Facebook immediately and he is beyond adorable.

Also lifting my spirits is the fact that I have much to look forward to in the coming weeks. I’m penning this post on a bus to Suanbo (small mountain town two hours south of Seoul) to meet Jamie and a few of her friends for a weekend of skiing and hot springs. Should be a good time. Then in about two weeks, one of my best friends from home is coming to visit for 10 days, then I have my winter vacation part 1 the last week of January. Not sure where I’m headed yet, but it has to be cheap. Then I come back to school for two weeks; and afterwards it’s winter vacation part 2, and I’m going to Thailand and Malaysia! I can’t wait to leave cold, gloomy Seoul and lay on the beach, ride elephants and hang out with tigers; all of which you can do in Thailand. I’m so excited! We haven’t exactly booked tickets yet (still waiting for the best deal) but it’s a for sure. I just hope the political situation stays under control and there aren’t any airport demonstrations in the near future.

No comments: