Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving in Korea

I had very low expectations for Thanksgiving dinner in Korea. For one, they don't really eat turkeys in this country. I guess it doesn't go well with kimchi. (j/k) Also, I talked a little bit about Thanksgiving in my classes last week, and many of my students and coteachers had never heard of stuffing, which in my opinion is the highlight of the meal.

My friend Sarah reserved tickets to a Thanksgiving buffet at Gecko's pub in Itaewon. She told us there would be turkey and mashed potatoes at least, and that was enough for me.

It turned out that the buffet was totally worth the 35,000 won. We had turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pasta, french fries, bread, fish, sausage...pretty much anything you could think of. They even had pseudo pumpkin and apple pie. (see pics) I ate until I thought I was going to burst, just like back home. The best part was, no clean up, and no eating turkey leftovers for the next 2 weeks. Not bad, Korea.

Buffet Round 1

Some hungry waeguks: Josie, me, Alan & Betsy

Gecko's version of pumpkin pie

Soooo full!

No comments: