Friday, April 3, 2009

March Snapshots

So it turns out I'm really lazy at blogging. I am, however, really good at uploading pictures to my Facebook account and adding lengthy descriptions, so I thought I'd try that out here.

I've been really busy with teaching the past few weeks (my schedule this school year is a lot more hectic, which I like) but I've still managed to get out and about a bit this month. Here are a few highlights:

EV Boys Video Shoot

The EV Boys are a group of American English teachers here in Korea that sing funny songs about living in Korea as a foreigner. I saw them perform at Jane's Groove back in December and became a fan. Their song "Kickin' it in Geumcheon" hilariously and accurately describes life as a "waeguk" (foreigner)
Check it out:
They shot a new video in early March called "We Want Taco Bell." In Korea, the only Taco Bell is on the U.S. military base, so most of us are deprived of Chalupas and Mexican Pizzas. They needed extras for the video, and my friends and I gladly obliged. The shoot was a lot of fun; I've always had a flair for the dramatic and it came out in full force that day. The video will be cut sometime this spring, so I'll post it then.

St. Patrick's Day in Korea

On St. Patrick's Day, it was as if all of the foreigners in the country came out of the woodwork to celebrate. I think I saw every foreigner I've met in my 7 months here. It was pretty funny because we showed up thinking we were going to see a parade, and when the parade was going to start, we followed the mob of waeguks dressed in green towards what I thought was the start. After walking around the block for about 15 minutes, I realized that we were the parade. Following the "parade" we ended up back in Marrionier Park (near Hyewha Station) where they had free Guinness and Irish music and dancing. Unfortunately I couldn't stay because I have swing dance lessons every Saturday at 3:30, which brings me to my next picture...

The Swing Bar

Ashley dancing with one of the regulars


Ashley and I signed up for another session of swing dance lessons. This time I'm in the lindy hop class, which is a heck of a lot harder than the jitterbug class, but still a lot of fun. This time around Giryoung isn't there to translate for me, so I have to rely on big, exaggerated gestures and the limited English of my instructor, whose Swing nickname by the way is "Dora." I don't have to heart to tell him that's a girl's name. The lindy hop is not only harder to master, but it's more of a work out, which is good, because after all that Thai food on winter vacation, I porked up a little bit. I've also joined a gym in my neighborhood with Kim, and am hoping to be "beach ready" as they say, by summer.

Well, besides watching Boys Before Flowers, teaching, and studying Korean, there's not much else going on right now. After my two trips over winter vacation, I'm kind of broke for a while. In May I'm going on a trip to Jeju Island with my school, so I'm excited for that, but it will involve chaperoning about 400 sophomores. Not exactly a dream vacation, but Jeju is supposed to be beautiful, especially in the spring, so I'm looking forward to it.

Annyong hi kaseyo for now ;)

P.S. Like I mentioned above, I've gotten lazy with blog postings, but I have my students laboring on one instead. I have an after school class of about 15 students, all girls, who spend 3 hours a week learning English with me, voluntarily! They are a great group and I've had a lot of fun with them so far. Here's the blog I'm forcing them to update: http://www.chungdamhs.blogspot.com/

No comments: