Thursday, April 23, 2009

Close Encounters of the K-Pop Kind

(Did I mention I'm a sucker for cheesy titles?)

I brag about my school a lot to my fellow teachers here in Korea because, well, it's kind of a big deal. To be more specific, Chungdam High School is located on the border of Apgujeong-dong and Chungdam-dong, the two ritziest dongs in Seoul. Every morning when I get off the bus and walk up the hill to school, I pass the Galleria Department Store, which houses stores like Chanel, Gucci, Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc. (i.e. brands I will never, ever be able to afford)

Galleria Department Store




Across the street from the Galleria is 'Rodeo Street,' which is lined with more stores and fancy restaurants that I can't afford. It is very common to spot celebrities in this area, eating or shopping or coming out of SM Entertainment, a talent agency that produces some of the biggest groups on the K-Pop scene these days. This building is located a stones throw away from Chungdam High School. Whenever a celebrity is reportedly in the building, teeny boppers wait outside the building to get autographs or just catch a glimpse of their favorite K-pop star.

However, if you are lucky enough to be a student or teacher at Chungdam High School, you might see a K-pop star in one of your classes. We currently have two entertainers enrolled at Chungdam: Sun Mi of the Wondergirls and Tae Min of the boys' group 'Shinee.' Sun Mi was supposedly one of my students last school year, but after the Wondergirls started touring last May, she only showed up during mid-terms and finals, when I don't teach, so I never saw her. This year she's taking 6 months off to tour internationally, so chances are slim that I will meet her.

The Wonder Girls (Sun Mi is the one in the pink)


Our other K-pop star, Tae Min, is a sophomore who is supposed to be in my 5th period on Tuesdays, but I guess he only comes to first period every day and then leaves. But today his homeroom teacher brought him into our office to meet the teachers. I did my best to be non-chalant and gave him a quick "Annyang haseyo" before he headed out the door. Really though, I was a little bit giddy and spent my free periods this afternoon doing 'Shinee' research, since I don't know much about the group.

I found that not only is he babyface of the group (they always have one of them in boy bands) but he's the best dancer. He's usually front and center during the dance sequences. In this video, he's the one in the hat:


He declined a request by my co-teacher to pose for a picture because he wasn't wearing any make-up. But even without make up, he is a cute little bugger.

Tae Min of 'Shinee'


Group Shot (He's the one in the "Wicked" shirt)


I should have asked him if he could introduce me to T.O.P. from Big Bang... oops.

8 comments:

xiuqi89 said...

wow! it's so nice to have met taemin!
he's really a hardworking boy!
i love SHINee loads!!
my favourite is jonghyun..the lead singer..wee~
he sings with the most passion and expressions he's got! ;p
SHINee had there goodbye stage yesterdae :( sobz..
i will be waiting for their comeback!

Anonymous said...

I should have asked him if he could introduce me to T.O.P. from Big Bang... oops.

LOL. you should've!
how is he doing in class?

민트파이 said...

WoooooooW such a luck teacher I was thinking all the day and night how-to get in chungdam school lool just o met Taemin but i think it is too hard T^T ahhh if i only can i'm a really big fan of Taemin from United Arab Emirates <3 <3 <3

shiNew said...

whoa..really cool and lucky..to us, shinee fans =)
yeah..taemin's really cute..hmm..i wish i can see him originally w/o make up..huhu
must still be cute..

btw did get the permission for the leave u wanted?

Tricia said...

Hello! Are you Korean? your standard of English seems pretty great! :) aww, speaking about taemin, he's my favourite ;D you should have gotten his autograph DD: anyway, do you think you could help me meet him when i go to korea one day? heehee :)THANKS!

Ashura saranghae SHINee said...

u reali met taemin ?? OMG . say hi to taemin for me .. pretty pls !!

Anonymous said...

omg I too am trying to figure out how to get into chungdam..notlike it's gonna happen though considering I don't know any korean besides ''Sarang hae Shinee'' How's it teaching in Korea? I would love to go aboard but I'm totally chicken...don't even have enough courage to take korean classes..OTL weep weep

Anonymous said...

wow, you're so lucky to have him as a student~~~