Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I heart my students


High School kids crack me up. The more I get to know my students here, the more I think that kids are the same everywhere. Sometimes they remind me so much of my students back home with their funny/sassy comments in class.

Today in one of the boys’ classes, I explained the activity for the day then asked the students, “Does everyone understand what I want you to do?” (A lot of times the students will nod their heads like they understand, then they ask me what’s going on 5 minutes later) One kid goes, “Roger that!” I couldn’t help but laugh. Some of these kids can barely form sentences in English, yet I get comments like that. I asked the rest of the class if they knew what "Roger that" meant, and explained the whole pilot/radio thing. After I finished, another kid goes, “Fire in the hole!” They surprise me everyday with the random English phrases/colloquial expressions they know. (One of their favorites is “Oh Shit!)

I’m starting to really like my Korean students. After almost three months here, I have a much better idea of what activities are going to work in each class and how to adapt assignments for the different ability levels.

I’m also showered with compliments and affection on a daily basis. My celebrity status hasn’t exactly worn off. I don’t get a unanimous “wow!” when I walk into the classroom anymore, but nearly every student yells “Hi Taryn Teacher!” when they see me in the hallways. Although some of the boys are more traditional and bow when they see me, which I think is awesome. In Korea it is custom to bow as a greeting to someone who is older than you or in a superior position. I think I’m going to try to implement that when I go back to the U.S. to teach. (Just kidding, it would never work)

And then there are the compliments. Last Friday I straightened my hair, and when I walked into the beginner boys’ class, there were claps and cheers like I was meeting my fan club. Several students shouted, “Hair! Good!” and another yelled, “Teacher!...Face...Angelina Jolie...Same!” Gotta love being compared to Angelina Jolie. Then on the way out of school Monday of this week; I was all bundled up in my new coat, boots, scarf and hat because it’s freezing in Seoul right now, and I got called a “Fashionista” by three different students. These are just a few examples of the compliments I am showered with on a regular basis. Some of them have also given me snacks and candy, and I got one Halloween card from a student that said, “Thank you for remembering my name.” With 400+ students that I see once a week, it’s hard to remember names, but there are a handful of students whose names I’ve learned. Most of the Korean teachers don't bother learning students' names.

Unfortunately, the school year ends on December 23rd, and I’ll get a whole new crop of “1st graders” (sophomores) when the new school years starts in March, just when I’m getting to know them better. Hopefully the new kiddos will be just as adorable.

Don’t get me wrong, there are certain classes that misbehave and drive me a little nuts, but overall, teaching here is a very pleasant experience. I don’t assign homework or grades, I don’t give tests; they get to have fun with me. It’s a pretty awesome set up.

No comments: