Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Big Test

I'm not at school today because it's the day that 3rd graders (seniors) all across Seoul take the test that will make or break them: the university entrance exam. This is the test they've spent the entire school year preparing for and that their parents have been worrying about for their child's entire life. I kind of wanted to see the madness at the front entrance, but I'm happy to have the day off to get some sleep and try to beat this nasty cold I've had all week.

Here is a youtube video that shows all the hype. There will be a similar scene at Chungdam this morning. Members of the student government are required to be there to cheer and show their support, and other students voluntarily show up to cheer. It would have been something to see, but again, I'll take my day off.



P.S. It turns out I was overreacting to the exercise comment in the posting below. Koreans are just obsessed with health and exercise and he meant no harm by the comment. I just took it the wrong way. The honeymoon period is over and little things like that are starting to get to me. It's hard being a wagukin (foreigner) sometimes.

No comments: