Monday, September 22, 2008

Missing North


Written 9-18-08

Don't tell the IT staff at North, but I'm still able to access my e-mail account there. Since today is a slow day at my school, (the kids are testing so I have lots of free time) I was browsing some of the staff e-mails and opened up the Homecoming Coronation list. Reading the names made me a little sad. My first year at North, I knew maybe one or two of the students nominated. My second year, a few more. This year, not only do I know most of the students nominated, but I recognize the names of younger siblings in 9th and 10th grade. One of the things I love about teaching is getting to know my students, and it would have been fun to have some of their younger siblings in class this year. It also would have been neat to see my first group of sophomores, the class of 2009, walk at graduation this year, but that is unlikely. Even if I decide to stay another year in Korea, which I am considering, I can't take my home leave until the end of July. (If I don't stay another year, I finish my contract in the end of August)

Not that I regret coming here at all; it's been amazing so far and I'm learning so much, but it was really hard for me to leave North, and I like that I still have my e-mail account and that my teacher page is still up because it's like I haven't been officially "erased" yet.

So I'm going to take a moment to be a big sap and say to all my former kiddos that I miss you guys and even though I'm not standing at the door every Friday to say this, I still hope you're being safe and making good choices :)

~Ms. S.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you totally stole that phrase from Duellmann.... she used to say that every friday... and pretty much everyday- "be good, make good choices, love your mother!" haha! good times :)