Friday, September 26, 2008

"Hello, I am a foreigner"

Minjung and I were just about in hysterics about this at lunch today. She and Eunjin (another one of my co-teachers) were teaching me simple Korean phrases since for once, because of midterms, they weren’t insanely busy and we had time to sit down and chat.

I said that I would start going around saying, “I am a foreigner” to everyone, as if it wasn’t glaringly obvious. (I stick out like sore thumb most of the time here.) Eunjin said it would be unnecessary; it would be like her telling people she was Asian. I said, that’s why it’s funny.

We were also talking about how I’m sort of like a 4 year old here. I’m starting to read Hangul, but very slowly, like a kid who is just learning to read. I told them that my friend back home bought me little kid chopsticks that have a rubber gripper to bring here, and Minjung said I should bring them to lunch next week because the teachers would get a big kick out of it. I had thought the kid chopsticks were just a novelty gift at Patina, but kids here actually use them to learn, like her 4 year-old nephew. So Abby, you will be happy to hear that your chopsticks will be put to use next week ☺

I love that Minjung (my main co-teacher) and I have the same sense of humor. I told her that I think she is the Korean version of me, because every time she says something about herself (i.e. she’s really scatterbrained, she loves to sing, she loves to shop, she’s technology inept, etc) I’m like, me too! We have so much in common, we just never have time to hang out because she’s been so busy.

She and I both agreed that in October we would spend more time together outside of school, since midterms, which she coordinates, will be over, and she will be done with the English textbook she’s helping publish. We’ve made a lot of plans since discovering all of our shared interests. When she took me to immigration to get my alien registration, we sang along to the Mamma Mia soundtrack in her car and she discovered I could harmonize, since then she’s wanted to go to noraebang with me. We also made plans to go out for Thai food (my favorite) and for her to teach me how to cook a few simple dishes, since one thing we do not share in common is the fact that she can cook.

Overall it’s been a great week. Tuesday I got my alien registration card, allowing me to get a phone, and Wednesday I got paid, finally! People from home have been asking how things are going, and my response was always, “Great, but I have no phone, “or “Great, but I have no money.” Now it’s just “great,” no buts. I am having a blast here so far.
I also have a week off from teaching since the students are testing all day, so I have lots of free time at work to update this blog, practice Hangul, plan my trip to Thailand over winter break, and of course, Facebook. It also was a gorgeous fall day today; the first we’ve had here. I have no complaints ☺

Minjung and me at an Italian restaurant near the school

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how DO you say "hello, I'm a foreigner?" I need to learn if I am going to join you out there!

Taryn said...

It sounds like "cho nun way-guk-in im ni da"

Holly said...

So glad to hear things are going so well with your co-teacher! It's so fun to connect with them and get to know them better, especially since you have so much in common! You'll have to let me know how the cooking goes. :) Enjoyed seeing you Friday night!