Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Chuseok Weekend, part 1

This post is almost three weeks late, but I did say earlier that I would post about Chuseok. It also occurred to me that this is supposed to be about my "adventures" in Korea, and so far I've mostly talked about teaching. Not that teaching isn't an adventure, but anyway...

After the prison-like experience that was orientation, we (SMOE members) had our first full week of teaching. The week after that we got 4 days off (some of us 5) for Chuseok holiday, which can best be described as Korean Thanksgiving. This is probably the biggest holiday in Korea, and traditionally Koreans return to the towns of their ancestors to offer thanks to their ancestors' spirits for a good harvest. However, I asked a lot of teachers and students about their Chuseok plans and most of them were staying in Seoul. Actually a lot of my students said they would be spending the time off studying for mid-terms, which are going on this week at school.

They did say that people still make songp'yon, a traditional Korean pastry made of (big surprise here) rice. I've never seen so many things made from rice before moving here; or squid for that matter. Also, a lot of children wear a hanbok, or traditional dress for the occasion. (See pictures above) Otherwise, it sounds very much like an American Thanksgiving, where you eat a lot and sit around and watch TV with relatives.

When I found out about our time off for Chuseok, I immediately thought of a trip to Japan. I want to see as much as possible while I'm here, so any vacation time we have, I make big plans in my head. However, Holly (roommate at orientation) pointed out that we wouldn't be getting our first paycheck until after Chuseok, so we should probably stay in Seoul. Holly's a smart gal because I barely made it to pay day without what would have been an expensive trip to Japan.

So we stayed in Seoul and hit up some of the tourist destinations in our own backyard. I'm glad we did, because there is so much do right here in Seoul, and now I have a better idea of places to take people who come to visit me. I still don't know when Japan will happen, but Koreans celebrate a lot of holidays and there will hopefully be another long weekend soon. (Thailand and Cambodia are on the agenda for Winter Break)

On our first day off, (Saturday) we hiked up Dobongsan Mountain which is at the northern border of Seoul in Bukhansan National Park. Josie (my other orientation roommate) has lived here for a year now and decided that she is going to hike up all the mountains in Korea, so she recruited some of us to go with her. It was a moderately difficult hike, pretty rocky and steep, but nothing like the Volcano hike I did in Nicaragua during spring break '07. However, when we got to the peak, I had a mini panic attack trying to get to the top. There was nothing to prevent us from falling to our death other than this wobbly iron railing that I clung to for dear life while scaling the rock. Being a total American, I kept commenting how it was a law suit waiting to happen. In the U.S., you would have had to sign a waiver saying the park isn't responsible for your death or gotten a climbing license or something. But this is Korea, and they don't have people suing McDonald's because the coffee is too hot...yet. Panic attack aside, it was a good time and a great photo opp.

My hiking buddies:


Like I mentioned above, Koreans can't seem to get enough squid. They were selling it in jerky form at the base of the mountain. Actually this might be octopus...but you get the idea.

I got a big kick out the signs in the park. My coteacher told me that this one means "Don't take my acorns!" and warns that park goers will be fined for doing so.

"Don't even try to bring your bugle up this mountain!" At least that's what I think it says :)


Minjung said this one says to stay off the mountain when there's lightning. I love how dramatic it is.


"David" decided to join our hike so he could practice his English with us. He didn't understand why I wanted a picture of people's backs (I was trying to be artsy) He also got irritated that we took so many breaks.


Again, this rickety iron fence was all that separated us from falling to our death. It was scary.


I must say that for all my complaining, the view was worth it. This is my new city!


No comments: