Friday, September 12, 2008

Media-less

I am so out of it these days. I missed the RNC in my hometown, I heard from someone at Orientation about McCain choosing a running mate, and now my mom is asking me in an e-mail about Kim Jong Il's possible stroke. She asked if people were talking about it over here, and I wouldn't know. I live in a city of 11 million people, but I might as well be living in grass hut in Fiji. I still have no phone, cable or internet in my apartment, and I don't speak Korean. (I am learning the alphabet, slowly but surely) With the exception of my Facebook mini feed, all my news is through the grapevine. It's pretty sad. I'll have to start making more of an effort to stay informed. Once I get my Alien Registration Card, I can get a phone, internet, and cable channels in English.

Apparently the media here are talking about Kim Jong Il (in Korean) According to my co-teacher, South Koreans are hesitant to speculate about his condition because of the lack of evidence, and in fact, she's heard that his condition is improving and chances are he won't keel over anytime soon. Maybe I'll head up there this weekend for the Chuseok holiday and investigate. (Just kidding)

Here's today's New York Times story for more info: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/world/asia/11korea.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

P.S. More on Chuseok and my first week of teaching later...I've been crazy busy this week and this site is blocked at school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are really bad hurricanes going on too!