Monday, January 18, 2010

Letdown

Alas, I finally heard back from Westgate Corporation in Japan today, and I didn't get the job.

They said that the hiring pool was very competitive; and since I don't have experience working with adults or a CELTA certificate, they couldn't offer me a position at this time. They said to reapply when I had obtained one of the above. But the thing is; I like kids. I don't really want to teach adults, which is why I didn't get a CELTA certificate in the first place. The University students I would have taught are only a few years older than my current students.

I had a bad feeling when they said they would let me know their decision in about two weeks, and then I didn't hear from them until now, a month later. I shouldn't have banked on getting that job and looked into other options, but as a self-proclaimed commitment-phobe, I really liked the idea of a 3 month contract. Even though I'd be unemployed again in July, it gave me more time to figure out what to do in the fall. I was also over-confident that I would get it given my three years of experience and actual teaching degree and license; something a lot of my fellow ESL teachers don't have.

I'm kind of bummed because I was really excited about living in Japan, but I guess this is a good thing; I'll have more time at home with my friends and family and can spend some time thinking about what it is I really want to do next.

I know that I'm not ready to go home for good just yet. There is still a lot more world out there that I want to see. Stay tuned...

No comments: