Thursday, January 14, 2010

K-Pop 2010

I haven't been impressed with the K-pop charts these days. The number 3 song this week, "Bo Beep," by T'ara, is maddening actually. (The girls sing "Bo Beep Bo Beep Bo Beep over and over again) Some girl was listening to it on the bus the other day and I nearly lost it. Thank God for I-pods.

This is the one song out right now that I actually do like. "You and I" by 2ne1's Park Bom. Like most Korean music videos, it's super cheesy and melodramatic. And I don't want to be a hater, but I just want to point out a few unrealistic aspects of the video, lest people think that Korea is a Utopian land full of cupcakes and idyllic natural scenery. Just doing my part to shatter the Confucian ideal of keeping up appearances, one blog post at a time.

For one, Korean weddings don't take place in churches. Instead they have these huge wedding halls that people rent out for the afternoon. Secondly, where are all these big open fields and picket fences? I've never seen any in Korea. North and South Korea combined are about the size of the state of Minnesota, only with a bajillion more people. These idyllic nature scenes do not exist. Even the National Parks in Korea are overcrowded. They're like Disneyland with mountains.

Also, it seems like in Korean music videos, someone always has to die. The first Korean music video I ever saw was Big Bang's "Haru Haru," where two guys fight over this chic who ends up dying of some terminal illness. In this one, her new husband gets sick and dies. But if you've read past entries, you'll know that Koreans are sort of obsessed with health, and it carries over into pop culture.

Alright, I'll shut up now and post the video.

No comments: