Monday, June 2, 2008

Placement?

I have a big decision to make in the next few days. I got offered two positions; one with Seoul Public Schools and another with a private English immersion school. The public school job would last a year, and I'd most likely be placed with junior high or high school students. (They don't actually give you your placement until you arrive for orientation) The private school job would involve teaching 1st graders in all subjects for 6 months, with the option to renew my contract after 6 months and probably switch to older students. The private school offers 4 weeks of paid vacation in that first 6 months, whereas the public schools offer 22 days paid vacation for the entire year. The pay is pretty comparable, so it really comes down to the age range.

I originally was hoping to teach older students, because that's the age I plan to teach when I move back to the states, but who knows, maybe I'll love 1st graders. If I don't, I can always renegotiate my contract after 6 months. The 4 weeks of paid vacation is also very enticing...

I really don't know at this point. I'm working with two recruiters; one who is a big advocate for private schools and the other who thinks the public schools would be a better fit for me. It's hard to know who to believe.

In any case, I have to make the decision this week, so I'll keep everyone posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

take the one with more days off