Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Yellow belt 입니다!

Translation: I'm a yellow belt!

(At least, I think I passed the promotion test. They haven't actually given us the belts yet...)

If you aren't a taekwondoer yourself, you're probably like, "who cares?", but for me, it's really exciting to not be a clueless rookie a.k.a. white belt anymore. I never had aspirations of becoming the next Jet Li; I started learning taekwondo for the experience and because Vicky said it's a "proper workout." (The Brits like to use "proper" a lot) Also because I believe that I'm becoming more of a wuss as I age, and this is an attempt to de-wuss myself.

I started taking classes about 2 months ago, subjecting myself to loads of bruises, sore/pulled muscles, being shot at with BB guns and a sprained ankle.

I am in pain after nearly every practice, even after two months of classes. I swear the instructors sit around plotting new ways to torture us each practice. See picture of stunt double-esque flying somersaults below for an example.

In spite of all this, I am loving it! I'm not a violent person by any means, but there's something about fake kicking and punching people and shouting "Ki-yeop!' that is such a rush. Also, my 3 years of high-kicking with Dance Team have paid off, as taekwondo emphasizes the use of kicks over other types of martial arts.

I also have a newfound appreciation for people who are actually good at this. It's much harder than it looks.

Here are a few pictures I took during Sunday's promotion test, an incredibly nerve-wracking experience that involved demonstrating what I was supposed to know for stone-faced judges while the rest of the club sat on the sides watching me screw up...which I did several times. I can't even remember the last time I've been that nervous.

But I passed, because like TM (what we call our taekwondo master) said, our club's focus is on enjoying ourselves rather than perfection. Which is why it's perfect for me :)

Yellow to Green Belt pumsae 품새, or pattern:


Kicks


Vicky breakin' some boards


In the beginning of November, our club took a trip up to Gangcheon (north of Seoul somewhere) where we did the flying somersaults, learned how to break people's wrists, and shot at each other with BB guns.

Our club with Grandmaster Lee. Fighting!

Flying somersaults...ouch!

Playing with guns


Limbo contest. Finally, something I'm good at!



Good times :)

6 comments:

Nat said...

I wanna learn! Mom was like "....why....?" and I'm like "it's cool!" haha. I know, I'm really good at telling stories. I plan on writing a book about it.

and what kind of word is fessisia??? these word verifications for making comments make me laugh :D

Taryn said...

Nat, you can come to class with me when you visit!!!

arirang tv writer said...

Hello, I'm Kim Hee-jeong and I am a script writer at Arirang TV.
We are looking for someone to join us on our new program called and we would like to have you parcipate on our show!
Our program features information on Korean culture and much much more seen through the eyes of foreign residents living in Korea.
The program is 5 minutes long. It will be a great opportunity to create some fun memories of your life in Korea.
My phone number is 02-3475-5258, 010-7133-9793.
I will be thrilled to hear from you.

Unknown said...

Hi Taryn,
this was the only way i was able to communicate with you, do you remember the exact address of that Taekwondo club you were using? I'm living now in Seoul and would definitely want to continue practicing TKD.

Many thanks
Bachir

Taryn said...

Hi Bachir,

The club is located in the War Memorial near Samgakji Station exit 11.

I would go to the Arirang website and contact someone from the club. It's a bit tricky to find.

Hope that helps!!! ~Taryn

Taryn said...

Here is the webpage: http://cafe.daum.net/arirangtaekwon

And the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=79149497926&ref=ts