Sunday, December 6, 2009

Chicken soup FAIL

One thing that's awesome about Korea is that many things are much cheaper than they would be back in the States, such as:

Taxis
Public Transportation
Korean Food
Haircuts
Cell phone plans
Soju

However, others (namely anything imported) are heinously expensive:

Starbucks (3,000 won for a tall roast of the day)
Cheese
Mediocre beer imports (like $6 for a bottle of Miller Lite, probably warm)
Any wines
Cosmetics ($17 for lipstick I could get for $5 in the States? No thanks)

Today I splurged on lunch, unintentionally. My sinuses started acting whack yesterday, so I was craving some Chicken Noodle Soup with a soda on the side.

I went to Butterfinger Pancakes, a Western restaurant near my school that does an amazing brunch and normally serves actual 'Western' portions. My order, a teeny bowl of Chicken noodle soup with 3, yes 3, soda crackers and a diet soda, came to 13,200 won. (about 12 US dollars)

I don't know how much cans of Campbell's Chicken Noodle are running these days, but I'm pretty sure I could have consumed the same meal for under $3 back home. I HATE that. I am not a thrifty person by any means, but nothing irks me more than paying 2 to 3 times more for something in Korea than I would in the States.

I really shouldn't complain though, considering I don't pay taxes or rent in Korea. I'm also moving to Japan very soon, where everything, not just imports, is wicked expensive.

Update on the Japan job: I have a phone interview next week, which is the 3rd phase of the application process. I think that I will get the job, but I don't know any concrete details, like when I start, what city I will be teaching in, exactly how long my contract will be, (the website says 3-5 months) etc.

A few months ago I wrote that I wasn't going to stress about it, and just go with the flow, but my zen-like attitude is quickly fading now that my contract is almost over. I need to know those details, so I can figure out if and when I can do some traveling around Asia between contracts and whether or not I can attend any of the 3 family weddings taking place this spring/summer. (Seriously, family and friends: if you could just pause the whole marriage/babies thing it would really help me out!)

I'm hoping they will fill me in next week. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I just composed a post about Chicken soup too! lol. I'm sorry to hear your experience was disappointing. I haven't been brave enough to try purchasing it, although my friend Alison gave me a good (and simple) recipe. I'd love to share it if you like! =)

Nat said...

Do you want me to bring you some soup? And should I wait to get my haircut there for cheap? :) I'm so excited to come out there!!!!!!

Renee :-) said...

Okay, I had a little chat with my uterus and the baby inside has decided to wait until you hear from Japan before he appears... That way you will know for sure if you will see him in April for Joe and Tara's wedding!