Wednesday, July 8, 2009

It takes time

I wrote in an earlier post that April was a tumultuous month, but I had no idea what the end of June had in store; my first real heart break.

Very uncharacteristically, I fell fast and hard for the Brazilian I was dating. (Yes, the fact that he was from Brazil and had an adorable accent was a huge part of the appeal)

It turns out that all those cliché sayings about love are true; like the one that says “love is blind.” I knew that we were doomed from the start, but I didn’t care about the future because he made me so ecstatically happy.

Long story short, he broke my heart, and it’s been a rough two weeks. Luckily, I have made some really solid female friends here, and they have helped talk sense into me and distract me when necessary. Most of my friends have already been through something like this (I am 26 after all) and have told me the things I need to hear.

One e-mail from a friend back home has been particularly helpful, and I’ve gone back and read it several times when I’ve felt sad. She said that it may take time before I feel good again, but it will work out in the end. She reminded me of how lucky I am to have the freedom at this point in my life to travel and meet new people and experience new things. I felt better after the reminder that she (and others back home in relationships) are living vicariously through me.

As much as it hurt, I’m happy I am where I am right now. So far in my life, in spite of all my anxiety about the future, things have worked out for the best and they will continue to… I just need to have faith that when the time is right, “it” will happen. In the meantime, I will experience a lot, even if it means heartbreak.

No comments: