Thursday, January 15, 2009

Snow!

As much as I despise cold, I LOVE snow. (Which is why I’m starting to think Colorado might be the ideal place for me to live.)

This morning as I was walking to the bus (I'm lying, I actually took a taxi so I could press the snooze button 4 more times) light, fluffy snowflakes were falling. This has happened a few times this winter in Seoul, but it usually melts before hitting the ground.

Well it finally stuck. I just peeked out the window at school and our soccer field (which is really just a dirt clearing between high rise apartments) is covered in white! I love it. Every year at the first snow I get really excited. In my youth, before I turned into a big wimp, I would spend hours outside in the winter sledding, building snowmen and forts, skating on the rink my dad would make in the front yard, and then go inside to warm up and drink hot chocolate. I didn’t realize how much I missed snow and I hope it sticks around for a while.

I realize that my MN readers are probably not sharing in my giddiness right now as temperatures reached -20 today. I definitely don't miss January in Minnesota ;)

I was way too excited about a few centimeters of snow:

Some kiddos playing soccer at the school

7 comments:

Sarah Haney, M.A. said...

I stumbled on your blog with the random button thing. That's really cool that you're teaching in Korea!

Oh and I totally love the snow and hate the cold too. :) I think there's a lot of people who think the same thing out there.

Anonymous said...

You would actually love MN this winter- we're getting record snow fall , I'd say there's like a foot and a half here in St. Joe! Yea it's too cold to stand outside and appreciate it (cuz you'd die of hypothermia) but everything is just covered in a thick white blanket :)

Anonymous said...

You are sick woman. I hate the cold. Snow is nice to look at, but not to drive in. It is so cold at my house I want to die. Thank God for heating blankets or I would never be able to survive. I would not make a good homeless person.

Anonymous said...

I do think Colorado is awesome, though. "though the mountains may fall, and the hills turn to dust," such a LeAnne thing to say. I have only experienced a week of Colorado, but I would totally come and visit you there.

Taryn said...

Alyssa I think we need to send you to Derek Zoolander's Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good. I said I hate cold.

Anonymous said...

I think she was rebutting what I said. I don't like the cold either- but the snow here definitely helps me cope with it.

Lola O. said...

Since your from Minnesota what do you think of Korean Winters, as bad or not even close?

I am from Phoenix, and moving to Seoul and my biggest worry is not being prepared for how cold it can get.