Monday, August 11, 2008


I just got back from an 8 day trip to New York and Washington DC to say goodbye to some friends out there and see the sights. More than anything, it made me realize that I am ready for my year (or more?) abroad.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was visiting Korea town in New York and trying Korean food for the first time. I've spent the last 6 months researching all things Korean, and the food was something I was a little nervous about. The traditional Korean dish, kimchi, is fermented cabbage usually, which sounded less than appetizing. I am happy to report that kimchi is delicious; as was everything else I tried. All the side dishes they brought us were soaked in something spicy and delicious, and the entree I ordered (the name escapes me) was a rice concoction with chicken, vegetables, and an amazing hot sauce that you added to your liking. It was fantastic and I can’t wait to try more.

The trip also made me realize that I will have no trouble meeting people to hang out and travel with when I’m there. I already have a few connections in Korea and made two more on this trip. One of my friends in New York is an actress who spent the last year on the Asian tour of 42nd Street. She is actually the one who talked me into Seoul in the first place, because she said it was a lot like New York. She has a friend who is a U.S. soldier stationed in Seoul, and he told her I could call him as soon as I get there and he would show me around. I’ve been told it’s handy to have military friends there because they have American products on the base that aren’t accessible to the general population. Anne (the actress) said if I was ever craving American snacks or something, he could hook me up. So that’s comforting to know. I've read that Korea doesn't have good cheese or chocolate, which are two staples of my diet, and I'm sure there are other random things I will crave once I'm there.

I was also telling Anne that I was worried about staying in touch with friends and family while I was abroad, (especially if I decide to stay another year) and she reminded me that I hadn't seen her for a year and a half, and here we were at a restaurant in New York picking back up where we left off. I realized that she was absolutely right. I have friends all over the country, and even if I don't see them for a while, it doesn't mean they are lost forever. I don't know why I worry so much about that.

In Washington DC, I stayed with my friend Caroline who works for an international non-profit called Freedom House. She is a former Peace Corps volunteer who has always been interested in international affairs, and she has been telling me I should go abroad for the past three years. We hung out with one of her co-workers who is planning to teach in Thailand this year, and she and I agreed to visit each other. Thailand was one of the countries I was considering teaching in, and it's definitely on my list of places to visit in Asia, so I'm thrilled to have a contact there.

Similarly, today on Facebook, I talked to a guy from high school who has lived in Osaka, Japan for the past six years. Not only did he give me lots of great advice about what to pack, he said to come visit him in Osaka, and he’d take me to all the best clubs in Tokyo. It just amazes me that there is no shortage of connections in this world if you seek them out. I already have a handful of people to show me around Seoul and to visit in nearby countries. At one point, I was afraid I’d made the wrong decision by leaving my job, family, and friends behind, but the last eight days have shown me that so far, this is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The next year will be full of new experiences and people, and I can’t wait.

12 days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog Ms. Syrstad. It's always so entertaining! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Taryn about how this is one of the best decisions. I am excited that you sent me the link to your site and I hope to use this when I go to Japan to help my cousin with her dance productions and hopefully learn Japanese from my aunt's teaching business. Have a great year and keep in touch. God Bless You!