Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 2

8-27-08

"Are you beesy?"

The Korean teachers got over their shyness very quickly. They keep coming by my desk and asking if I'm busy. Minjung gave me a few things to work on today, but I just say "no" thinking they just have a quick question, and then I'm whisked away to walk down to the river, review a teacher's lesson plan, or get a crash course on Korean food. I'm glad that they want to help me out, but I feel like death today. I'm getting over the jet lag, but I have a nasty sore throat and cold and my body aches all over. Minjung suggested I start wearing a cardigan and then I won't be cold. This in spite of the fact it's 80 degrees and muggy outside. I know she's trying to be helpful, but wearing a cardigan is not going to fix this. I'm taking Advil and sucking down tea (they have lots of it here in our office) and just trying to get through the rest of the day.

A few stories from today:

When Song-yi took me on an "off the record" walk to the river, (we're technically not supposed to leave the school without filling out a form) she said I was very thin, and aren't most Americans fat? I told her that I was average and that thin Americans do, in fact, exist.

Another lady (I don't know many names yet) was showing me today's lunch menu and teaching me what the words meant. She made me repeat all the words and was astonished at how accurate my pronunciation was. She said, "I think you are brilliant." I tried to tell her that I'm just really good at mimicking sounds, like a parrot. It doesn't mean I know what the words mean. Many Koreans have trouble with English pronunciation because there aren't as many consonants in Korean, so they are very impressed that I can "speak" their language.

Actually, in my first two days here, I have been told that I am not only thin and brilliant, but beautiful, open-minded and adventurous also. Minjung couldn't believe that I had both kimchi and soju at my going away party back home. Also many staff members at my school were worried I wouldn't like Korean food. Food wise, I don't think Koreans venture out much. The majority of restaurants are either Korean or Japanese. Well, aside from a smattering of American places; so far I've seen Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays, Dunkin' Donuts, and, of course, McDonald's. I've read that because of the rise of American or Western fast food places here, the obesity rates are climbing as well. Imagine that.

I went off on a bit of a tangent there, but I meant to say that if you need a self-esteem boost, come teach in Korea. Except that they keep telling me I have a very small face…

Today I also started observing some of the teachers I will be working with. The students’ reaction when I come into the classroom is both adorable and kind of embarrassing. As soon as I stepped into the room in the first class I observed, I was met with a nearly unanimous “Wowww!” from the female students. (Classes are separated by gender in the high school) I thought that there were a lot of Westerners living in Seoul, but I’ve only seen one person so far who looks like me; a blonde guy on the subway. They must all be hanging out in Itaewon. the foreigner district. I am the only non-Korean teacher at the school and the first native English-speaking teacher the school has ever had, so I have a kind of celebrity status.

It’s kind of fun, but is also means I haven’t been able to get any work done. Everyone is very eager to meet me, practice their English with me, and offer to help me adjust to life here. Hopefully the excitement will wear off soon, or I’m going to be bringing schoolwork home every weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowww! How exciting! I'm glad you've found good company but lay low and get well soon! Find some Airborne pills and pop 'em!

Anonymous said...

Are your "1st graders better then we were last year?

Anonymous said...

wow you are so popular, i wish i was just like you. I hope you get better and get a bigger face soon, haha jk. well do get better. I think that i wanna come out there and see you. i have to find some money first!