Sunday, April 3, 2011

To India we go!


We're heading down to Bangkok in less than 5 hours to catch our flight to New Dehli, and I just now decided to do some Wikipedia/Lonely Planeting online in preparation.

Normally I would have done this weeks ago, but I am travelling with a group of 7 people, two of which are 'Type A' planners, so I was content to kick back and let them do all the dirty work. But I thought I should at least brush up on a few facts before I go, and also share them with you.

Straight from Wikipedia:

India is the 7th largest country by geographical area, the second most populous country in the world with a population of over 1.2 billion (The U.S. is at 308 million for a basis of comparison)

Four of the world's major religions originated in India; Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, & Sikhism

It is one of the fastest growing major economies, but still faces challenges of poverty, illiteracy, corruption and inadequate public health.

Straight from Lonely Planet.com:

"Love it or hate it, and most visitors see-saw between the two, India promises to jostle your entire being."

I was mentally prepared to have my being jostled, and was really looking forward to the trip, until I had a wee bike accident on Saturday morning, where I tipped my bike turning too fast, flew off of it superman style, scraped a fair amount of skin off my left hand and acquired a gash in my knee that required 4-5 stitches. Normally this would just be a minor setback, making things like showering and opening jars difficult (I sprained the heck out of my right thumb) but I'm going to India for 10 days. I'm supposed to keep my bandaged wounds clean and dry, and India is hot, dirty, and lacks adequate public health. I also need to redress the wounds every day with sterile equipment.

Not really a great start to the trip, but my friends have been great with helping me out. In fact, I owe them a shout out for all they've done so far. Jenny for taking me to the hospital and holding my hand while they doused my raw, exposed skin with betadine (one of the most intensely painful things ever; it feels like your hand is one fire) and distracting me while they stiched up my knee gash.

I also want to thank Nicole and Corinne for bringing my bike back to my house, and doing my dishes after I whined how difficult it was with my bandages/sprained thumb, and also for changing my bandages.

I don't know what I would do without these girls. Honestly, from the moment I arrived in Thailand they have been there for me. Cooking me dinner when I didn't have food, lending me money when I didn't make it to payday...twice; I could go on and on. Ladies, I really appreciate all you have done for me, and will do for me in India... because I need help changing the bandages ;)

Alright, I'm off to go finish packing and attempt another shower without getting the bandages wet. That's the other thing; April is the hottest month in India and I can't take real showers yet... sorry in advance, travel companions.

4 comments:

AMGunderson said...

I'm glad you updated - I check your blog (almost) weekly on Sundays - along with my postsecret addiction. We are going to miss you much in Key West next weekend. Can't wait to see you again in the summer.
Also, bike accidents are bound to happen - sucks it happened for you before a vacation! Make sure you take care of it - I don't want you to get infected in a 3rd world country!
Besos.
Love, Nan

Lauren K.McNichols said...

Have fun in India! and be safe! I hope your not flying into New Delhi, and if you are, I hope there are clear skies without the fog. That was my main difficulty. Have a good trip! I can't wait to hear about it!

Renee said...

Sory to hear about your wipeout -- I enjoyed the pictures! I can say, however, "intensely painful" by eye...have a baby, lol! (But, shhh, don't tell Alyssa!) ;-)

Hope to see you soonish -- do you think you'll be home for Christmas? If we're not moved to MN by then it will probably be the next time we go.

Keep those boo boos clean and have fun. Remember, if you get them dirty and have nothing to clean them with, a bit of alcohol will do; whatever you're drinking! :-) <3

Renee said...

Sorry has two r's.
And "my eye."