Thursday, September 23, 2010

Glass half-full

Sunday, September 19th

I was having a bit of a freak out moment today when it was raining and I was trapped in the hut, wishing I were in a big city like Seoul, or back home, but I'm okay now.

I just read through some old blog postings and it reassured me that everything will be fine. Civilization will be waiting for me when I want to go back, whether that's home or another country or another U.S. city (which I've been thinking about lately).

It's only been a month. It's going to take a little more time to get the hang of things and I need to not be so hard on myself for not being a perfect teacher from the get-go. There's no way I'm going to have a perfect lesson plan every day when I'm prepping for 4-5 different classes.

Hopefully the kids are learning something even if the lessons have been sort of scattered all over the place so far. I've been trying really hard to adapt materials and lessons to the needs of each group. It's going to take a little bit more trial and error to find what works for them and me, and I can't beat myself up about that.

I need to focus on the positives when I get down like that.

I'm learning and growing and getting good teaching experience. I'm developing lots of lessons I can use in the future. Heck, I'm going to Bali in 4 weeks and India in April! It's like my Eat, Pray, Love year.

Not to mention I'm challenging myself to live outside of my comfort zone. (read: the middle of nowhere) Not everyone could do that.

Plus I haven't bought any new clothes in over a month. That has to be like a new world record for me.

In other words, quit spazzing Taryn, everything will be fine.

No comments: