Friday, April 2, 2010

Look Mom, I cooked!

(Written March 18th, 2010)

I just had the most amazing four-course Lao meal; cooked by yours truly!

Okay, "cooked" is maybe a strong word. I took an evening cooking course here in Luang Prabang, and the instructor had already prepared all the ingredients, I mostly just chopped vegetables and meat and pushed it around in a wok until he said it was done.

If cooking was always like this, as in the ingredients magically appeared before me in pre-portioned little bowls and I was under careful supervision, I might do it more often. (I am complete dunce in the kitchen, see previous posts for evidence)

My favorite dish we made was the "Panaeng Gai," which is chicken and minced pork in coconut sauce and chili paste. Mmmmm.

I even ate the "Tom Chaeow Pha," which is white Mekong fish with eggplant and galangai, or oyster mushrooms. As someone who utterly despises fish/seafood, even after 18 months in Korea, this was a big deal for me.

I wish I would have taken a similar course in Korea, because even though I tried all sorts of Korean dishes, I haven't a clue how they were prepared.

Lao cuisine is actually very similar to Thai cuisine, only they eat "khao nioouw" or sticky rice, with every meal rather than steamed rice. I tried sticky rice with eggplant dip for lunch today, and it was surprisingly delicious. When the waiter brought it to my table, I wasn't sure how to eat it, but you just use your hands. This would never fly in the States where we are perhaps overly concerned about food sanitation, but it was really good.

No comments: