Sunday, October 25, 2009

I heart Seoul

(Yet another emo posting)

There is a spot on the orange line from Oksu to Apgujeong Station where you go over the Han and it offers a 60-second, picturesque view of the city. I remember the first time I saw it during my first weekend in Seoul. It was a clear night and all the lights of the city were shining and reflecting on the river all magically. I had only been here 5 days and I remember thinking how cool it was that this was where I lived now.

I still feel a little bit of that when I ride the orange line over the Han. I love Seoul. It’s overwhelming sometimes, but most of the time, I feel really lucky to live here.

I don’t leave Korea for another four months, but I’m already getting sad about it. I know I will love Japan, (granted I get the job) but Seoul and I have had a good run. This summer I didn’t think I could possibly do another whole year, but now that my departure is nearing, I'm thinking another 6 months wouldn’t have been that bad.

I do feel like I’ve done the best I could to “suck the marrow from life” during my time here though, and as good as I have it here, it’s time to try something new. Time to go to another country and experience those first few weeks where everything is new and exciting and a little scary too. That’s why I left North High, and Minnesota and my family and friends. And that's why I am leaving this city that has become my home.

P.S. A quick google search revealed that the "spot" is the Dongho Bridge. Here's a picture of it that I did not take...so I'm posting it illegally. When I figure out how to use my camera, I'll take one of my own.