Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1st, 2009

Normally Mondays are one of my more chaotic teaching days, but lately the teachers haven't been showing up for my afternoon conversation classes, (many complained that they were intimidated or that the material I used was too hard, but not to my face of course...) so today I have the afternoon free to work on my TEFL. Yes, the same TEFL I've been "working on" for 7 months now. I only have two units left and a final paper, but like I said earlier, it continually gets pushed to the bottom of my priority list.

Here is one reason why. Unit 18 is about "Using Technology in the Language Classroom." Sounds like a relevant, useful chapter, right? Wrong. The Unit describes various tools used in the classroom over the years. Anyone who has ever set foot in a classroom in their lives could have written this chapter, and yet it is supposed to be a "graduate" level course. I beg to differ.

Let's hear what scintillating things they have to say about chalkboards:

"As a general rule, the chalkboard has served as the main tool used by the instructor to write down important facts and figure [spelling error] which can be utilized by the learner."

I always wondered why they put those things in the classroom! Seriously, shoot me.

Next up, "DVD and Video Player/Recorders!" Woo-hoo!

No comments: